Thursday, July 20, 2006

Gentleness Toward the Robots

So, I'm driving home tonight from the gym and there's construction all around me, and I'm thinking, "So, here is a more subtle way to destroy ourselves." Do you really think we can keep growing infinitely? Can we REALLY turn the United State and Earth into a giant subdivision? And what is the point of packing billions more people onto the Earth???

In October, U.S. population will hit 300 million. Most people just say, "Yeah, so what?" and go back to their American Idol show, or they sample a few more beers at the local brewery. We humans have a powerful defense mechanism built into us called DENIAL or "I don't want to think about it" or "I'll deal with it later."

If I directly tell someone how overpopulation, global warming, pollution, and other environmental ills are slowly destroying us, people will just say, "Oh LITTLE GOOSE you are SO NEGATIVE." So, to get my message out I have to sweeten it, lighten it, dampen it, or whatever.

Now let's turn to the second theme of my blog, which is the violence. All hell is breaking lose in the Middle East, and yes, it is affecting everyone. There is a somber spirit in the air that I can feel. But still, people prefer to really just ignore the problem. "It ain't me living in there Israel. I don't have to worry about no missile hitting me at night. Burp."

But, it IS your problem -- it's everybody's problem. See, those Republicans taught me this thing about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, and I take this seriously. I take responsibility for the environmental destruction and violence. Of course, I'm not sure exactly what to do about it, but I keep trying.

Oh yes, I did get a letter published in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution last week. It was about United Nations Population Day, and the fact that the most important day of the year came and went and hardly anyone noticed or cared. But the Goose cares. And a lot of other people care too.

"To save it, we must destroy it."
-- Author unknown

No comments: