Saturday, July 29, 2006

DNA and Doggies

I am blessed with two beautiful, adopted dogs. One is a little Terrier mutt and the other one is a Labrador mutt. I have been fascinated by just watching them and studying their behavior. With my new understanding of evolution, I now see them as fellow mammals that just happened to branch off in a different direction.

In a way, dogs are dumb, but in a way dogs are smart. One thing they are excellent at is reading my moods — and I can see how my moods affect them. Of course, our moods also affect the people around us, so maybe we need to learn to manage our moods better.

But to the point!

The point is that when Nemo, the black Lab, is going through all the puppy stages that Teddy went through four years ago. The funny thing is that their behaviors are remarkably similar, even though they are different breeds, different sizes, and four years apart.

Right now, I'm on the back deck on a beautiful July night. There are flashes of lightening in the distance and a very cool breeze. Nemo is at my feet playing with his rag toy.

I also work at dog shows to make extra money, and what I'm saying is that aside from some variations, most dogs behave pretty much the same way. They have the same responses to humans, other dogs, danger, etc. They are dogs, and much of their behavior appears to be encoded in them. They are absolutely fascinating animals, and we often take them for granted. At my family reunion today, I learned that two of my cousins rescue dogs. I think that's cool.

But the point, oh yes, the point, is that dogs seemed to be a very pre-programmed species. In effect, they are trapped by their DNA. However, this standardized DNA has allowed them to live and thrive for tens of thousands a year.

So, how much are we humans trapped by our DNA? How much are we controlled by pre-programmed behaviors. It's hard to say. But as I see our current civilization enter its final act, I'm wondering if we are too pre-programmed to break away from our destructive behaviors and start living in a better way.

Are we slaves to our genes? Are we going to behave in the same predictable ways, even though these behaviors are now taking us to self destruction? I hope not.

The good news is that I'm seeing more bloggers, podcasters, religious leaders, and even a few corporate leaders starting to wake up and question the old World Order. This gives me hope. This makes me feel like we are not programmed to destroy our civilization simply by behaving the way we always have. Something tells me that humans are intelligent enough to override their basic behaviors. Maybe, maybe not.

No comments: