Sunday, July 09, 2006

All Hell Breaketh Loose

So, I can't help but notice that all hell is breaking loose all over the world. Remember that little Axis of Evil that Bush talked about a while back? Well, he took out one of the bastards, but the other three are like bees in our president's bonnet. Yes, evil Syria, Iran, and North Korea are still out there causing trouble. Those naughty kids are testing missiles. Those other bad kids in the Middle East are busy whipping up an anti-Israel war. They just can't get enough of that good ol' violence.

I can't help but think about a line from one of my favorite music groups, A Perfect Circle. In one of their songs they sing about "peace, love, and understanding." I wonder what happened to all that. If we really do live in a Christian nation, where is all the "peace, love, and understanding?" Where is all the peace and love that the Christians are always talking about and that the Muslims sometimes talk about? Every time there is some terrific terrorist event, I always hear, "No, Islam is not like that - they are interpreting our religion all wrong." So, maybe. I dunno.

The point being (I love that phrase) is that we humans can't seem to kick our addiction to violence and I'm absolutely SICK OF IT!

Okay, I was a skinny runt in school, and I was getting beat up all the time. It was usually either by dumb bullies (who are now landscapers) or little short guys who had to prove themselves. After a couple of good fights in grade school, I decided that fighting was crazy and just said "no more." So, I took their abuse, ridicule, and pushing and shoving. They really couldn't hurt my ego because it had already been smooshed into the ground.

Maybe, just MAYBE, there is a better way to deal with these rogue nations. Look at the good things that happened in Libya. Maybe there are ways to really stop these bad boys. Maybe if the peaceful nations showed some real solidarity we could get them to behave peacefully. Maybe if the United States stopped being a hypocrite, we could have the first step toward a lasting peace.

The first thing the U.S. must do is get rid of all nukes. Who are we to scream at Iran about nukes when we still have them coming out our ears? And who are we to fuss at North Korea for testing missiles when we are testing weapons systems all the time? But at the same time, North Korea is being rather provocative, so it's important to find a happy medium between peacemaking and protecting yourself, just in case the peacemaking doesn't work.

So anyway, in junior high kids would fight over who got to beat me up first. I really just wanted to get it over with. If I was lucky I got through it with just a few Indian burns or a titty twist, or maybe a swirlie if there was a toilet nearby. The good thing about that is that it MADE ME HUMBLE! It also made me ashamed to be a white, American male because there is a certain arrogance that goes with that, and it's something I want no part of.

Small Wonder....

After all the crap I went through as a child, it's not surprising that I always side with the minority. I love the African-Americans, immigrants, and gays. Why? Because they have something a lot of those rich, overweight white men don't have -- dignity. And I stand up for Democrats, women's rights, labor, environmentalists, and all those underdogs that the Power Structure likes to marginalize, demonize, abuse, exploit, or whatever else they feel like doing.

Help!

Please forgive me for being trapped in this sorry white Anglo protestant body. I really find it disgusting, and I am truly ashamed. I am sickened by the fact that my ancestors owned slaves and fought for the Rebels. I am sickened by the fact that I once attended churches that refused to put women in senior leadership positions, or went around spreading evil myths about gays -- how they are "immoral." Bullshit. I just met a very clean cut, Christian gay person a few days ago. I would rather have 20 friends like him than to be around one of these so-called Christians who talk about helping the poor and downtrodden, and then turn around and blast immigrants for "invading our country." First of all, people should be able to move wherever they want. Second of all, they are just trying to have a better life, just like these power-monger yuppies who insist on having 20 floodlights shining on their McMansion so everyone can see it at night. What the hell is that all about?

So, maybe tonight I'm just a little angry and disgusted. Oh well. I'm sitting on my back deck and enjoying a wonderful cool breeze. The frogs and crickets are making a lot of beautiful music tonight - I think they feel rain in the air and are happy. It is them I root for too -- that's why I'm an environmentalist.

The Goose

No comments: