Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Simply Amazing

Simply Amazing


I am back out in full exploration mode. I'm visiting people, I have several lunches lined up, I am visiting churches, and going to meetings. My wife bought me a little laptop so I can begin recording my experiences and taking names and phone numbers, and storing tons of information.

The problem, however, is that I'm either a withdrawn hermit in my backyard office or I'm overextended, and then get burnt out. I wish I could find a happy medium. It's so hard not to overcommit.

To end my rambling for today, here is an excerpt from Canary Brother Brian:

It is amazing how religion (chrisitanity in this case) has developed a defense mechanism capable of deflecting any doubt, regardless of facts. One argument that christianity developed was believing things on faith, when all else fails. It makes arguing impossible, when someone that gets backed into a philosophical corner looks at you and say "i don't care about the facts or logic, I believe it on faith." There is no reply.

"Thought Contagion" was a very influential book for me, outlining how memes take hold in various aspects of society, including religion. If you buy the concept, memes can explain most of our behavior, especially religion. Memes become like an organism in itself, competing for organisms to obey and spread its rules. Very interesting. Are you up on mematics?

And an interesting article that Canary Brother Gene sent me: http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speeches/complexity/complexity.html

Yeah, I think it's B.S., but the article is interesting.

Finally, a "shout out" goes to my fellow blogger Brett, who closed down his wonderful blog "Three Decades Later." He is a great writer - I will miss his entries. May his good blog rest in peace.

Yellow Canary

No comments: