Sunday, June 19, 2005

Tribute To Granny D


Not long ago I read from the Declaration of Independence in the Capitol Rotunda in Washington. I was arrested and jailed for doing so. As I thought that was a violation of my free speech rights under the Constitution, I went back and read from the Bill of Rights. That landed me in jail, too. I felt freer in that jail, because I had spoken out as a free person, than I have ever felt in the open air. And I am not finished being a free American, whatever happy costs await me. I do not know what is in store for you. But I know that courage is freedom, and freedom is joy.
— Granny "D" Doris Haddock, famous Canary and unsuccessful 2004 candidate for U.S. senate;
excerpt from a graduation speech given at Hampshire College


Granny D gives me hope.




One of the Greatest Canaries

I remember in 2000 when Sister Canary Granny D came through Atlanta as part of her cross-country walk. She was conducting the walk to raise awareness about the need for campaign finance reform. Unfortunately, I couldn't get off work that day, but several of my friends walked with her through the city. At the time, she was 89. More recently, she went on a 22,000 mile tour to encourage working women to register to vote. A lifelong activist, one of her early accomplishments was to help stop the planned use of hydrogen bombs in Alaska in 1960.

What Message is Granny Trying To Tell Us?

Granny ran for Senate last year, walked across the country for, and has given many speeches on a simple message: our nation’s leaders have been corrupted by special interests dollars and no longer represent the interests of their constituents.

What I admire most about this great woman is that she is this little old lady who is now 95 years old, and someone you would probably not notice at the grocery store. Yet, she has shown that even in the late years of your life, you can still do great work and send a powerful message to others. Her grace and determination are an incredible encouragement to me. When I get frustrated and annoyed with crazy humans, I think about Granny D, Julia Butterfly, and other great heros who continue to make this world better.

I know that I am not destined for greatness, and I have no interest in assuming that role. But what I do think I've been called to be is an Encourager. If I can encourage, support, and inspire some other individual to do something great, then I have completed my mission.

As for me, my goal is to be the greatest nobody that the world has ever seen. I do not care about fame, money, social status, or prestige. Besides, I have far more respect for the elderly black man who cleans my office every week than I do for some yuppie in a Lexus, with paints far too tight, and who's throwing a tantrum because his hair is messed up.

The greatest people in our society are those who are the least among us: The ones who have suffered, the ones who have acquired a beautiful humility. If we would take a moment to get to know them, to learn from them, and to befriend them, our lives would be deeply enriched.

Respectfully submitted,

The Yellow Canary

No comments: