Sunday, June 12, 2005

The New Movement Begins!




.. We are entering the third era of the environmental movement, which is about finding sustainability. The first began with John Muir and was devoted to preserving wild places. The second was characterized by fighting pollution. Now we’re facing global problems like climate change and making the transition from fossil fuels to renewables...
— Lisa Renstrom, newly elected Sierra Club president

What Joy...

I was thrilled to see this message from the new president of my beloved Sierra Club. From what I've read, she has a similar vision to my own. The Yellow Canaries are rising to high positions around the world, and the Great Movement has begun!

I love the idea of the Third Era of the environmental movement. But it's more than that. The Sustainability Movement is also about peacemaking, reinventing culture, and creating new ways where we can all live comfortably, be happy, and not harm the Planet in the process. Sure, it may seem like we are light-years from this goal, but everyday I see little baby steps where humanity is moving forward.

Of course, there is a ferocious battle ahead between the sustainability activists and the fundamentalists and those who enjoy privilege and comfort under the current system. We are seeing this very battle take place in Iraq. The progressives are trying to build an new nation, and the religious fundamentalists as well as those who benefited under Saddam's regime, are resisting.

Big Battle Ahead - Sustainability Activists vs. Fundamentalist Religionists and Corporate Profiteers

This struggle will mostly be a political battle, and a struggle for people's minds. Mother Culture as we know it needs major changes, and this is going to make a lot of people unhappy. Since we Canaries do not support violence, we will mainly be martyrs.

In the end, we will have an exciting new world. How lucky we are to be alive during this time. The Industrial Revolution and the Cheap Energy Era are coming to an end and today I welcome the new Sustainability Era.

We will learn to live together in peace, and we will learn to respect nature, which is the most visible evidence of God's magnificence. We will use clean energy, we will work from home more, and we will tear down our borders and bureaucracy. Most importantly, we will learn to use the one attribute that makes humans special — love. Yes, we will even learn to love again, unconditionally, and sincerely.

The Final Backlash

What I've seen in America the last five years has been a total regression from the goals of sustainability. But I believe it's like a horror movie — the monster always comes back to life one more time and runs amok for a brief moment, and then it keels over dead. I think the post 9/11 years have really been dark years for our country. There is so much lying, twisting of morals, and hypocrisy, all aimed at protecting the so-called "American Way of Life" as well as protecting outdated and destructive ideals. The United States could have used 9/11 as an opportunity to reexamine ourselves, restore international goodwill, show humility, and try to make things better in a positive way. But, no, the very worst came out of our nation.

Join Me...

I ask you to join me on this new movement. As for me, I'm moving my office to my backyard to get one car off the road. I've greatly reduced meat intake, and I'm learning to be happy with the material possessions I have. These are all ways we can reduce our "footprint " and impact on the Earth. I've also tried to make a difference in a dozen other little ways. In addition, I believe that all of us have a duty to "give back" either through giving or volunteer work, and I try to do both.

In 2003 I started a sustainability website, yellowcanary.org . I know there are already sustainability websites out there, but I figured the more web sites in operation, the faster we can raise the world's consciousness.

Again, I am seeing evidence that the Movement is taking off. The new Sierra Club president's remarks above are evidence of this. Today, I feel really good about what I believe in and stand for. In 1997, I knew something was wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it. I left my church, where I was an ordained ministry leader. I knew in my heart that something was amiss in our world, and I began my journey. I have never once regretted this decision, never looked back, and I am at peace with myself (well, almost).

Since our American lifestyle cannot be sustained indefinitely, in effect we are borrowing resources from future generations. This is unfair to both our children and the natural world.
— The Yellow Canary

No comments: