Saturday, June 24, 2006

Do It Over Again?

For some reason, my birthday last week has made me do a lot of reflecting. The question I keep asking myself is, "Would I like to be 20 years younger?" My response is an instant: "NO WAY." I've been trying to figure this world out since I was age 8, and I would hate to go backwards again. I am just a biological animal fulfilling my mission in life in the way that my heart leads, and if I was age 26 again, I'd have to re-learn a ton of crap.

I also think about some of the big mistakes and bad decisions I've made in my life, but I don't really regret them either. Each mistake was a great learning experience that has given me greater clarity and wisdom for the present.

My biggest regret in life is the few people I've hurt. I tried to track down three people that I've hurt in my life and apologize, but could only successfully find one. The worst thing anyone can do is to hurt another human, another creature, or the Earth. I won't get into a discussion on when it is okay or not okay to kill, but all I will say is that the worst kind of hurt is when it is intentional, and when you should no better. This includes the mental pain we often inflict on our fellow humans every day. It is so easy to let out a terse comment that cripples another. Instead of that, we should be saying words of encouragement and find something kind and positive to say in every situation.

I am thankful for all the experiences that I've had, and for all the great people that have been an influence on my life. I think about my several environmentalist friends that have passed away -- how they left a little of themselves in me by merely setting a good example. I try to honor their memories by living up to their high ideals. To Ed, Tom, and Jim, I thank you for your great deeds (some I didn't learn about until after you died). Your missions were successful (and complete), and I can only hope that mine is to. However, I will never be able to fit in any of your shoes.

The Humbled Goose

No comments: