Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hating Green


Since getting back into the environmental movement in 1997 the one thing that continues to amaze me is all the hatred toward the Earth. Most of the hate falls into two categories — religious folks who believe the Earth is temporal and going to be fried anyway and, secondly, greedy developers who feel that they can do whatever they want without accountability. And when you question them, they label you a "radical."

So, I was in class on Thursday and a classmate noticed my "Sierra Club" briefcase. She is employed by a construction association and said, "You and I are on opposite sides."

"What?" I said. "Are you saying you're against trees?"

She replied: "I am when they stand in the way of progress."

First of all, I cannot comprehend how ANYONE can be against the Sierra Club or the environment, since without a healthy environment we will all get sick or worse. Secondly, this woman has a small child. Doesn't she care for her son's well-being?

There seems to be an attitude that environmentalists simply get in the way of profit. I think that one reason why people hate "green" is that it's simply an annoyance. They don't want to be bothered with the minor sacrifices that it takes to live a sustainable life, and to create sustainable buildings, and to develop land in such a way that RESPECTS the environment, instead of EXPLOITING it.

Each day I read the letters section in the newspaper and the vitriol against the environment appears never ending. Most notably, people intentionally confuse the issue of global climate change and then turn it into a supposed "lie," "myth," or "conspiracy." Why? Because companies and the general public do not want to be BOTHERED with taking responsibility for their emissions.

Believe me, every time you drive your car, turn on a light, or eat beef you are putting CO2 into the air — and it's YOUR emissions, no one elses. So, take responsibility for crapping on YOUR PLANET. And don't leave your children a hot, poisoned, giant waste dump.

When I read, see, and hear so much resistance against environmental progress, it makes me want to give up. My gut reaction is to just let the sinners drown in their own flood. I have no intention of building an ark.

As for conservative religious people and the Bubba Six Packs, well, they just wrap environmentalists into the liberal camp and see us as a bunch of troublemakers. They blame us for everything from rolling blackouts to the high price of gas. We little tree huggers are the shits of the earth, that inconvenience the lazy masses and greedy developers. We are the voices in your head that you swat like a fly as you yodel at the top of your lungs in the church choir. Father God is going to whisk you away just as you poison the last fish and sink the last island. Father God is going to give you your golden mansion, so there's no problem crapping on this place.

To those who do respect and protect the environment, you are the ones who have my deepest respect and admiration. The Sierra Club is an under-funded, non-profit organization that bravely stands up to the corporate machine and their puppets in government. The Sierra Club does amazing things with little resources, in an effort to preserve and protect the environment. I will gladly show off my Sierra Club briefcase, as well as the Sierra Club decal and license plate on my car. I will gladly take some criticism from the Earth-haters, and maybe, if I am respectful and rational with them, just maybe, they will begin to think twice about their hatred and harmful positions.

Just maybe ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya, we're in crisis, approaching the abyss... chomsky's book Hegemony or Survival (which the demon Chavez held up at the U.N. - and increased sales noticeably) addresses the choice we as a nation face whether to continue corporate pursuits leading to catastrophe or choose another course, the one you recommend. the how of it is of course tricky and that is found, in my view, in the writings of Tolle. tom ferguson

CCT girl said...

i hate those sierra club people. i mean really, who do they think they are with their shopping bags and water bottles.

giggle giggle

I admire you for all that you do for the environment, and you've taught me a lot, Mr. Goose. I hope you know that you're one of my heroes!