Friday, May 29, 2009

The Morality Myth

I'm not saying that I'm an atheist, by any means. I'm simply agnostic -- agnostic about anything that lacks hard evidence. What I AM saying is that I am 110% certain that ALL religions were created by MEN (sorry, not women). As to God, there may very well be a higher intelligence in the Universe. However, I believe that if there is, then this "God" must follow the laws of physics. To say there is a supernatural being implies that there is something out there that defies the laws of physics, and I don't believe in anything like that.

So, I'm a big fan of ZOMGitsCriss, who has a channel on YouTube — she is brilliant and really thinks out the issues. While the video below is called "Atheists Challenge," it could apply to agnosticism as well.

Okay, I know my rule is to tie every post in this blog to my theme. So, I think the tie-in here is when Criss says the following:
"Our morality should be based on reason. By analyzing the consequences of our actions. By thinking in the terms of 'what kind of world would this be if every person in the world was allowed to do this action?' For instance, I don't think that any reasonable person would want to live in a world where, let's say, rape and murder were permissible and considered normal — something that everbody could just do. As for me, on an individual level, I apply the same logic. For example, I wouldn't like to be cheated on, so I am not a cheater."
To all you religious folks who think that the world can't survive without the "moral compass" of religion - surprise! There are MANY examples of when the general public decided something was NOT moral, even though it was once allowed or condoned in some religious book. For instance, good Christian Southerners once used the Holy Bible to justify slavery. Now, we consider this immoral. Currently, there is a debate going on about torture, and most people are saying this is IMMORAL, while, amazingly, a good number of religious types support it. Or how about the the Roman Catholic Church's total sellout to the Nazi Party in the 1930s? That's sickening to me ... aren't Christians supposed to have a spine? And this accommodation of the Nazis helped clear the way for the Holocaust??? It's true and it's SICK. Or how about the relationship between the KKK and Christian churches in the 1920s in the South? SO DON'T TELL ME YOU NEED A RELIGIOUS DOCUMENT TO PROVIDE A BENCHMARK FOR MORALITY because you DON'T.

No comments: