Sunday, August 01, 2004

Learning About My 1 Billion Friends





It was a great joy
to visit the Muslim Festival today. Metro Atlanta has a thriving Muslim community that includes people from many nations. This is a vast religion that has made major accomplishments in the arts, math, science, music, architecture, and many other areas. There are over 1 billion Muslims on the Earth, which is 1/6th of the global population. The festival had several educational exhibits, and there were many nice people who educated me and answered my questions. I was surprised to learn about the millions of Muslims in China, or about the many Muslim Africans who were forcibly transported here during the slave trade.

The festival featured about 70 booths containing crafts, art, and good. There was also a stage, and a prayer area. Several booths were staffed by members of the Council of American-Islamic Relations. From them, I learned about cases of harassment, profiling, and legal injustice committed against Muslim citizens. I met a girl who was making beautiful paintings while waiting to return to college and another woman who made beautiful gourmet cookies.













I even met a visionary politician today who wants to work for ALL people.


Of all the interesting people I met, it was the biggest thrill to meet Akhtar Sadiq, who is running for the Georgia state senate. After spending only 15 minutes chatting with him, it was clear that he and I view the world the same way. Strongly patriotic, this is a man who wants to make his country better. He told me that if elected, he would not only represent the Muslim community, but all communities, and he told me about his plans to speak at a Jewish synagogue. It is people like Mr. Sadiq who will save humanity from its own craziness.

It was neat how everyone called each other "brother" and "sister." I think all of us humans should do that — after all, we are related. I also enjoyed seeing the little kids play, hearing the cultural music on the public address system, and smelling the good food. I did donate money to some various causes, including a new school, a legal fund to help an imprisoned local leader, and a capital campaign for building a new mosque.

At several places, I was thrilled to see Muslims signing a "not in our name" petition that took a strong stand against terrorism. One of the most common complaints I hear against the Muslim community is that they are not taking a strong enough stand on terrorism. I doubt this is true.

All my life I have seen and heard the stereotyping and misinformation about Islam. Some people, even Christian religious leaders, have inferred that Muslims are the enemy. This is a lie. I've also read and heard that Allah is actually a demon and that Muslims can't get into heaven. I am not sure what the motives are of the people who propagate these lies, but I suppose it is either ignorance or a desire to keep the fear level up in conservative churches.

I have actually heard Christians tell me that all Muslims are going to hell, and they say it just as casually as saying, "Hey, do you want to go out and get an ice cream?" If this were REALLY TRUE, and a Christian REALLY HAD compassion, then he or she would be crying and grieving night and day for the rest of their lives. After all, 1 billion is a lot of souls.

As for me, I side with the beautiful and wonderful followers of Islam. If they are to be condemned by the "enlightened ones" who scream behind pulpits, then condemn me too. I stand on their side. They are not my enemy — they are my friends.

A book that was recommend to me today. I have several books ahead in line, but do plan to read this:


Towards Understanding Islam
By A. A. Maududi
Paperback / Kazi Publications / March 1992 / ISBN 0933511795

Yellow Canary

No comments: