Sunday, July 20, 2008

Brainwaves of Humanity

Okay, I've spent the last few days looking at dozens of blogs on the Web. I've seen a lot of interesting blogs about travel, pets, raising kids, etc.. But what I'm not seeing is a lot of deep thought. What I see is a focus on the trivial. I don't know, I'm not feeling good about this whole "save the Earth" thing.

My problem is that I spend WAY too much time thinking. In the second grade my teacher called me the "Absent Minded Professor" because I was constantly daydreaming and zoned out. When I got my first real job at Dairy Queen at age 17, I almost got fired because my mind was a million miles away.

Most of my mental energy is spent on figuring ways to help our dying species and Planet. A reader of my blog once told me that I seemed frustrated because no one else seemed to "get it." That describes me in a nutshell. I always try to keep an open mind, but I get so frustrated with conservative religious people that I don't even want to have a discussion with them, in fact, I don't even want to be around them.

What amazes me most is how people can hold totally conflicting values, find a way to justify their contradictions, and seem to have no problem with that. For example, guns, war, and Christianity ARE NOT A PRETTY MATCH, but Right Wing folks seem to have no problem with their opposing values. Or Christians and the Republican Party — religious evangelicals appear to have no problem aligning themselves with big corporate predators that ruthlessly exploit the environment and labor. Or Christians who scream about "private property rights" and "my rights" — sounds selfish to me, and contradicts the communal living style described in the Book of Acts.

So, I spend a lot of time wondering if humanity is worth saving or can be saved. Every day I see things, read things, and hear about things, and I am just amazed at how utterly insane this world is. As a coworker once said to me, "Everybody's just trippin', man." Indeed they are.

Todd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you think the children will ask those in my not-so-great generation of elders, "When did you see the good scientific evidence of what everyone knew? Why did you not say anything, even though you did not know precisely what to do? How on Earth could you stand by, as if hysterically blind, willfully deaf and electively mute, and allow "...the greed.....of a thousand little kings..." who arrogantly see and proclaim themselves “masters of the universe” to precipitate the destruction of life as we know it and God’s Creation in the early years of Century XXI?"