Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Genetically Modifying Civilization

Uuugh, right now as I type this my cat is walking over my face. Very interesting. See, for the past year or so I've been carefully watching the behavior of living creatures, including humans, my pets, and little bugs that crawl across my desk.

I conclude that we are all limited to the boundaries of our DNA. The behavior of both humans and pets are pretty predictable and everything operates within parameters.

See, saving the world is NOT about reinventing civilization, technological innovation, or changing public policy. Rather, it's about changing individual human behavior.

For instance, what makes us want lots of babies? And why are we so obsessed with amassing more STUFF? Oh, and why do we like to kill one another? And why do we build nukes that are designed to kill millions of us? Isn't all this sort of pointless?

Maybe the solution lies with genetics. That's it! Let's create genetically modified humans that don't destroy the Earth or each other. Maybe we can even reprogram ourselves to think that living in the Stone Age is FUN! After all, that was the most sustainable era of human history.

Maybe we can re-engineer ourselves to want less children and fewer things -- changing these two behaviors alone would be a massive help in saving our Planet.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how it would work. Maybe the men of the first generation simply need to give a little seed to a geneticist, who, in turn, modifies it. Then, his spouse is artificially inseminated. Future generations won't have to worry about the extra steps -- they'll already be mutated. Bingo, problem solved - Earth saved.

Okay, this is just the latest harebrained solution to pop into my head. Maybe next week I'll have a better idea. In the meantime, the Emperor Nero continues to light his garden with human torches (provided courtesy of captured Christian). Huh, did he really do that? Yikes.

The Goose

No comments: