Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Getting People To Play Nice

I continue to spend countless hours trying to figure the world out. I read the newspaper, read articles on the web, and read books. I go to a discussion group and I regulary have "deep thought" discussions with friends.

The point is that I AM making forward progress. But I am almost 47 years old, so I'm wondering if I will still be able to take action by the time I figure everything out.

One thing I'm learning is that all the issues I discover as "new" have probably been around for thousands of years. For instance, industry's exploitation of workers and the environment - OLD ISSUE. Or, religion's collusion with industry -- OLD ISSUE. Or, the fact that industry controls government -- OLD ISSUE. Or that the rich and powerful control the poor and weak -- OLD ISSUE!!!!

The challenge is not to wipe out the ruling capitalists, but rather to restrain them. Or better yet, educate and recondition them. The quest for profit at the expense of life quality is, well, senseless. Yet it goes on and on, all over the world.

So, the question is: How can you get people to change their behavior and put the greater good of the whole ahead of making a quick buck? Is it possible? Do we need a sort of restrained capitalism, which will both motivate people and also force them to act responsibly? Me don't know.

Goose

No comments: