Monday, December 26, 2005

The Geese



Ode To the Geese

Every time I see a formation of geese or any birds my heart is broken. I always wonder if their habitat will still be waiting for them at the end of their migration. Then I wonder if they will still have a home when they return.

Humans are destroying nature around the world at a dizzying pace. There is no longer a balance between humanity and nature. This has become the greatest grief of my life. I know life is a daily crap shoot and at any time I could lose a loved one or I could face a terminal disease. But I don't think even my greatest personal pain can equal the pain I feel for the death of nature. Humans kill, destroy, pillage, and rape the natural world with an unimaginable frenzy. This is all done for comfort, or sometimes survival, and mainly to accommodate our skyrocketing human population. When I see the limitless humans everywhere I turn, I don't see life, I just see death.

After hitting a real low in August, I promised myself I would no longer waste time in despair, defeat, withdraw, depression, or cynicism — but gosh, it's so much easier that way. It's so easy to just do nothing, and say to myself, "Nothing can be done." I will always remember my first Earth Day as an environmental activist. I was tabling for the Sierra Club's Sprawl Campaign, and a passing bypasser said, "There's nothing you can do about it." So, I've spent years, especially this year, reflecting and trying to figure out if he is right or wrong.

I believe he is wrong, because every week I meet and learn about environmental, social, and peace activists who are coming out to try and make a difference. I just read about another guy in today's newspaper. I don't know if something is getting triggered internally to make more people take action, or if there's always been activists like this. All I know is that I think I'm seeing the early beginnings of a Movement, and I have to believe it will take off. As for the Establishment that opposes us, they are powerful, but they are also cocky, sloppy, arrogant, vulnerable, and prone to make huge mistakes. The forces who oppose us at every turn can be turned into our partners. While there are many bad, greedy, and indifferent corporations, there are also many good companies capable of great good. There are also a few good, progressive, and visionary leaders in Congress. There is hope.

So, anyway, getting back to the geese. I cried for them last night. I don't know why, I just did. I just suddenly realized that I had an incredible love for them, and for my world, and for babies, and for Muslims, and African Americans, and Mexicans, and every one of my fellow humans. I read another article today about how a guy is running a peace ministry, where he gets Jews and Palestinian kids to play basketball together. It was mentioned in the article that people have to be "taught" to get along. This has really stayed in my mind. Perhaps, too, people must be "taught" to respect the environment. Maybe people must be "taught" to recognize their own bigotry and hypocrisy.

I have hope. I don't know why, but I just do.

Guest Message





My friend Snail Darter has been a great influence in my life. A great environmentalist who has held some impressive titles and positions, I respect and think about everything he says. He recently changed his name from Alan to Snail Darter and wrote the following beautiful ode to this famous endangered fish:

Since I have taken his name, I've been thinking about the little guy and his importance.

First a quick history lesson: The Snaildarter was placed on the endangered species list in 1977 and the Supreme Court ruled in his favor in 1978 saying that even though the fish, being only 3/5 inches long and mainly just eating snails in clean water, had no economic or cultural valve to humans his habitat must be spared and the huge dam project/land grab/boondoggle on the Telco River must be abandoned. This sweet victory turned to defeat when Congress responded by making his home exempt from the Endangered Species Act, and the beautiful Tellico River, its valley, plus the farms and villages along her were drowned so people could water sky and make a little electricity. Still the Snaildarter shall ever be a symbol of the earth's struggle against human excesses.

Dear little fish, how quickly you scurry along the river's floor. I see you crawling on your leg like fins. Were your ancestors the first to come on land? Are you the seed that we dry walkers sprung from.

You're colored like the rainbow, so quick, so confident that you can elude bigger fish, while you dine on snails. I weep for the death of your home, clean, cold waters flowing over rocks now replaced by a dead lake where they throw hatchery fish so humans can have something to catch in a place devoid of natural life.

You still exist in a few special places and someday when humans fail to maintain their power beast it will fall and the river shall flow again clear and pure while you hunt snails as before. You are God and we are despoilers of God.

I apologize for my kind, for we know not what we do and I take up your name as my own. Snaildarter.

No comments: