Monday, May 31, 2004

Death

It is Memorial Day, so it's not surprising that I'm thinking about DEATH. I'm thinking about the 800 U.S. soldiers who died in vain for Bush's Holy War. It grieves me deeply, more than you will ever know. Each morning I turn on National Public Radio to learn about how many more Americans have been wasted. I feel the pain of their families. I grieve, and I grieve, and I grieve. It is necessary and noble to fight and die in the defense of your country. But that's not what this war is about. It is a political war, based on oil, or maybe based on payback, or maybe based on a right-wing political principal. But nonetheless, Congress did not declare war, and the United Nations did not condone it. Thus, it is an illegal, dirty war. It is George W. Bush's war.

So, getting back to the subject of death. What amazes me most about death is the incredible wisdom and knowledge that one acquires is all gone at the point of dying. My father was a pilot and he had become a nationally known expert on restoring T-28 trainer aircraft. People from around the world would call to ask him questions. As he lay on his death bead, I commented on how it was such a waste to die with all that knowledge. He replied that "you can't take it with you."

The moral is that we must all do a better job of transferring the knowledge we gain to future generations. If we do not share our wisdom, it evaporates the moment our heart stops beating, and the things we learn are in vain. It is important to share what we have learned with our children and other young people. I love it when my mom tells me the "when I was a little girl" stories. I could listen to them forever. As for my dad, he died in 1994 from cancer, and I believe he had so much more to transfer that he never did.

TRANSFER — that is something we must all do, before it is to late. Talk to young people, keep a blog, and SHARE! Don't take your wisdom to the grave. Maybe humanity would do a better job of maturing if we did a better job of transferring — so that young people won't have to relearn the same hard knocks that we went through.

Talk to your kids, your nieces, and nephews. First, tell them you love them deeply, and then share your experiences. Download your wisdom to the next generation. This is the justification for your existence. Download, man, download!

Then once you've dumped the lessons and knowledge inside your head, you can die in total peace and happiness. Your mission and job on Mother Earth has been completed, and you can enjoy the calm peace that enters your heart.

Oh, and one last thing. A lot of times young people will ACT like they aren't listening, but they really are. If you get a "yeah, yeah, right" from your son or daughter, don't worry, just keep on talking.

God bless.

No comments: