Friday, March 09, 2012

The Un-Church

I'm guessing it was about 1980 on a Sunday at mid-day. My car broke down in a grocery store parking in Vinings, GA. A large church has just let out nearby and the supermarket was full of people wearing suits and dresses. They all walked right by me as a tried to figure out what to do about my blown water hose. Finally, a guy came to help me. It wasn't one of the church yuppies, but rather it was a scruffy old guy in an old white car, who looked like he had a hangover.

That was once of those turning points when I got "disgusted" at religion as a whole. The odd thing is that church people did not realize they were being hypocritical by ignoring me -- they simply wanted to pick up a few items for their Sunday dinners. They were hard-wire programmed, just simply doing what they've always done.

I just watched an interview last night on YouTube with Andy Thomson, author of "Why We Believe in God(s). I already know that religion is hard-wired into people's brains and because of the cultural and social mores they are seemingly unable to break free. My big "mistake" was questioning things. Heck, I was a newspaper reporter -- I was paid to question.

No comments: