Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Great Flood of 2009

This is one of the many houses in my hometown of Powder Springs, GA that was damaged by a record-breaking flood that struck my community on September 21.


On September 21, 2009 my community in north Georgia was struck by devastating floods. I would like to make a few remarks about this horrific incident:
  • Prayer Power Goes Bizerk: It was only months ago when everyone was praying for rain to end the drought in Georgia. Our governor, Sonny Perdue, even held a prayer service at the state Capitol. Any one who is crazy enough to pray for weather is simply proving that God doesn't include weather in His list of miracles. Because now, our political leaders are saying, "Please pray for the flood victims." Maybe they should have just said, "Don't pray too hard for rain, or God might make it flood." I think this incident proves that the "power of prayer" is simply the wishful thinking of the desperate masses. And if God WAS responding to prayer by adjusting the weather, well, he screwed up. And if God screwed up the "rain prayer," what else has he screwed up? And how can he screw up anything since He is perfect? Of course, the religionists will tell me, "God has his reasons, and who are we to question God?" Well, I question God (stand by for lightening strike - ZAAPPPP).

  • Involuntary Carbon Tax: The evidence for global warming is real and overwhelming. Yet, most people either deny or ignore it. Even as we see the horrible side effects of climate change, people just prefer to respond to symptoms rather than address the cause. It was predicted long ago that global warming would result in more extreme weather events, and with increased frequency. Hurricane Katrina did not provide a wake-up call, and neither has this week's great flood. Most pot-bellied conservatives strongly oppose a carbon tax, yet we are already forcing that tax on the flood victims. It is the victims who are paying for those fellow citizens who insist on driving their Hummer and living in a McMansion.

  • Public Indifference: Because I work from home and live in a small house, I RESENT having to pay the carbon tax, but I did so anyway by making a donation to the Red Cross yesterday. I hate to see the suffering of ANY living creature, and I feel that COMPASSION is one of the greatest attributes a person can have. And while there are a lot of volunteer efforts to assist with flood relief, I also notice that a large portion of the population doesn't really care. Their attitude is, "If it doesn't affect me, then I don't give a damn." I'm sure these were the same people who went to Washington, D.C. last week to protest in the sheet-less Klan rally (also known as the Teabaggers). But, my point is, if a good portion of the population doesn't even care about their fellow citizens who lost everything in a flood, how are they EVER going to care about things like global warming, overpopulation, and environmental degradation? Is it hopeless?

No comments: