Sunday, July 19, 2009

Progressives, Liberals, and Conservatives

I am a big admirer of progressives like Teddy Roosevelt and Barry Goldwater. But what, exactly, is a progressive? My friend and colleague David provides a great definition below.

The point being is that I've found liberals who are just as dogmatic, righteous, and close-minded as conservatives. I would never buy into any pre-packaged dogma from either political party. Regardless of someone's political persuasion, if they can make a good case for something, I'll accept it. Both the Democrats and Republicans have things I like and dislike. But what I really like is the American two-party system — it is a beautiful thing. And though I define myself as a "Democratic sympathizer" and typically vote Democrat, there are a lot of things I admire about traditional Republican ideals. What I dislike most about the Republicans is that they've sold their soul to the corporations and religious zealots, who have formed a perverted alliance. What I do like is a good ol' moderate Republican, particularly one who is a social liberal and fiscal conservative.

Okay, my rule is to tie every post into the theme of this blog. So, the theme here is that both sides of the political spectrum need to have an open mind and be respectful of the other side. I've just run into some pious liberals recently, and believe me, they are as annoying as pious right-wingers.

Let's all just chill out, have a little thicker skin, and keep an open perspective. And please, leave your righteousness at the door. I'm SICK of all the self-righteousness that I've been seeing lately.

From my friend David:

Todd,

Ten years ago I would have explained it this way. A Liberal is someone who fully embraces programs and ideas from the Kennedy and Johnson years, with lots of government mandated or regulated programs, and who is a full supporter of the philosophy of New Deal concepts. Over the years, the folks on the right have demonized what a Liberal is, and have made it a four letter word. I also would have said that a Progressive is someone sympathetic to the objectives of those on the left (social justice, sustainable business, an end to lots of -isms, etc), but who disagrees with Liberals about the methods for achieving those ends. A Progressive is more likely to embrace market solutions to problems, consider the possibilities of school vouchers, and endorse local economic solutions before government programs.

I used to think the terms were different, but Liberals - in an effort to escape the negative associations that the right put on their politics - began calling themselves Progressives. From what I can tell of the national conversations these days, the terms are interchangeable, and mean more of what Liberal used to mean, and only a smattering of what I used to think Progressive meant.

That's my two cents.

David

No comments: