Friday, October 06, 2006

Perpetual Anger

I often think about those folks in the Mideast who suffer from permanent rage -- it must be horrible for their blood pressure. I pretty much stay angry all the time too; it's just that I don't let it out by beheading people and destroy other people's property. I don't believe in that. I always try to funnel my anger into action, or righteous indignation.

So, these last few days I've been thinking about what makes me the angriest. It came to me last night as I was watching yet another frightening documentary on global warming.

What makes me the angriest are this huge group of fundamentalist Christians who will never do anything about global warming. Instead of driving less or planting trees, they will frame this pending disaster into their religious dogma. All the symptoms of global climate change will be "signs" that the Lord is coming soon. All the bad things that happen will be "punishment" for allowing gay marriages, or whatever. As the waters rise over south Florida, they will say it is because of their SINS!

Even more moderate Christians tell me that global issues are in the hands of God, that it is "all part of God's plan."

So, that's what makes me angry. On Sunday morning millions of people will be sitting in churches as some preachers screams at them about saving more souls ... because the world is coming to an end. Then, they will hop in their gas guzzling autos and well, help the world come to an end.

It's freakin' crazy. This whole world is crazy. The daily newspaper absolutely depresses me. If I didn't need it for my volunteer work, I would not open the paper. It is actually more fun to live in lala land, or to be like church people who somehow think that singing off key or participating in church socials somehow makes God happy. Yeah, right. I think what makes God happy are people dedicated to service, who are not afraid to take responsibility for the Planet, and are out on the front lines making this world better, instead of in some little building playing church.

I am doing what I can to reduce my carbon emissions, but I know there is a lot more that I can do. To the church people, I urge you to join me to help reduce all the carbon dioxide going into the atmosphere. I know you think your purpose in life is to "save souls" by getting people to say a three sentence prayer. While that makes absolutely no sense, I know that you think it's right, so that's okay. But it's going to be hard to save people who are sick, hungry, dying, or dead. And global warming is going to cause a lot of that, I believe. Not to mention the human population explosion, the mass slaughter of our Planet's greenspace, and the fouling of our water. So, go ahead, put on your little suit and tie, sit in the back of your little church, and enjoy your 40 minutes of piety, as the preacher up front lambasts you for not attending the Wednesday and Sunday night services, and for not putting enough in the plate.

Give me a break. I've really had enough. I just wish more people would start doing things that really make a difference instead of playing games. I'm 46 years old and I've watched the game playing all my life. There is only one game I know, and that is called Reality. I wish more people would play it.

The Goose

No comments: