Monday, November 21, 2005

In Today's Gloom There is Opportunity for Tomorrow


Ahhhh, a target.

First, a Canary rant...

Like most tree-huggers, I love riding my bicycle. However, it's extremely dangerous on the road because so many people disrespect cyclists. Even though there are signs in my community that say, "Share the Road," and even though cyclists are mentioned in the driver's handbook, a lot of driver's don't think we have a right to be there and regard us a nuisance. It's funny, because I notice that auto drivers who are more health-conscious looking are more respectful and courteous. It is usually the pot belly types who see you as another squirrel to flatten. I mean, these are the same folks who get in their car to check the mailbox at the end of their driveway, and here they are trying to run me down? I would like to especially point out the guy in the red minivan who honked because my daughters and I were crossing a road and he had to wait five seconds — come on! You wouldn't honk at another car, so why did you honk at me? I pay taxes, and whether my vehicle is motorized or not, I have a right to the road. Work with us, man. Or better yet, maybe you could get on a bicycle yourself and lose a few tons. Sheesh.

Now for the news ...

This letter to the editor in today's newspaper says it all:

No need for shades in gloomy future

For the first time in my life, I feel a sense of dread about my future and that of my children. It's economic but even more it's a sense that this is the the America we were once so proud to claim as our own.

It's the cynicism in government, the lack of concern for the environment, the huge gap in wealth distribution and the government's promise that it intends to make the gap even more dramatic. It's the dishonesty of a president who makes a show of honoring our brave troops but whom you know sees them as just another commodity.

It's the failure of so many Americans to be informed and make good choices about who represents them in government. It's the idea that we have major problems that we need to work together to solve and so many Americans allow themselves to be divided and manipulated based on their prejudices.

I have my doubts about our ability as a nation to pull ourselves out of this mess. I think life will probably turn even more tragic before we are roused enough to demand and work for change. Worse, I fear if and when that change is finally demanded, it will be too late.

— Sharon Libert, Columbus, GA

Okay, SEE! So when you Righteous Ones out there make me out to be a looney psychopath, I'd like to point out that there is at least ONE OTHER person who feels the same way as I do, so that makes two of us. I have the same feeling of despair about my country. I no longer trust my government or the wisdom of my leaders. I no longer trust the voting process. I no longer trust religious leaders (as if I ever did) because there is always a hidden motive. I no longer trust the media — it's controlled by corporations.

Anyway, in coming months I want to start outlining what I think can be a new, sustainable society. It will not be nirvana or utopia, but it will be a life that no longer destroys the future. As I think out and plan this project, I will share more with my millions or loyal readers out there in blog land. Until next time, Godspeed and God bless.

Yellow Canary

No comments: